Thursday, December 14, 2006

.... What's the story?....

I read yesterday that the last of the major American newspaper's' were closing
their office in Toronto... (when I find where I read this I will add)....
but the point to me is this...
For many reasons it's not viable to have an office in any given city anymore...
What's the point of paying rent... when, thanks to the Internet...
You can do your job from anywhere...??
But the other side of this story ... to me...
is that there is NO Canadian story...
We're a bunch of mild mannered complacent rule following good folk....
There's no upheaval... no civil unrest.... we are all making our way and getting by...
And this is where HYPE comes in...
We are becoming the story...
We are unravelling the mystery that has let us become this machine of efficiency.
Any time you stray from the pack.... there are questions lurking...
As a nation we seem actively engaged in what we are becoming...
And fishing for a taste of what we were...
mixed with the possibility of transformations ahead....
So let them leave I say...
Let's float here under the radar...
So close to the infiltrators and yet so far!
I'm beginning to see .... how we can make our stories watchable for us!
That as we break free from the subtle/not so subtle influence of our neighbours to the south...
We have the creativity and means to make something Canadian!
That as we connect through the vehicle of media... we will empower ourselves into delight.
And set an example.... to the world( if they want) .... of what can happen when people decide
what to watch and when and how...
I'm tired of those old ways anyway... sitcoms-laugh tracks-reality tv= tired.
Where do we go from here?
It's a ripe nut ready to crack!

No comments: