Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Shout it out loud!

Hey, I'd like to thank justin as well and introduce myself as well. I also grew up in smalltown Canada, moved to a few cities throughout Ontario, and have ended up back in the same small town. What is it that John Mellencamp said?

"I was born in a smalltown. Probably die in a smalltown. That's good enough for me."

In this smalltown I live with my wife and 3 wonderful kids in a cramped 3 bedroom apartment. My wife is a massage therapist in the small town of Palmerston Ontario. If you are in the area try Brighid's Well Massage Therapy for all your, uh, muscle pain aleviation needs. Gift certificates available online!

As for me. At this moment I am an unemployed filmmaker. No that sounds wrong to me. I am unemployed and I am also a filmmaker. I'm also diabetic so that's why I was pimping my wifes certificates in the brief paragraph above. I think my indie music and filmaking roots are probably more interesting than my lack of a day job at the moment so I'll let you know a little bit more about those aspects of my existance right now.

For over 13 years I've been attached to Chachi on acid, a punk rock band that was born in 1991. I was 17 at that point and I thought Chachi On Acid was finally put to rest in 2003 after a Halifax show with the intensely entertaining Dean Malenkos. Turns out i was wrong because 17 or 18 brand new songs are being thrown together with drums laid down in Ohio by the drummer of the cult retard rock band Sockeye. This may not seem like much to people who were ignorant of the existance of Sockeye before reading this but it's a pretty fucking triumphant return for us.

But for now we'll pick up at the end of 2003, beginning of 2004. My wife and I picked up a camera and made a short film A traditional canadian Folk Dance which ended up screening in Winnipeg on March 6th 2004 at the NSI Filmexchange Canadian film Festival. Heidi and I were put up in the very beautiful Fort Gary Hotel and we were able to rub elbows with some very cool people such as Barry Dunn, and Mike Volpe. We were also able to see some extremely cool Canadian films such as Graveyard Alive: A Zombie Nurse in Love, Luck starring Sarah Polley, Emile starring Ian McKellen, and On The Corner starring Alex Rice and Katherine Isabelle. In short I was a ble to see a lot of great Canadian cinema that I would not have been able to see otherwise. It's sad to see so little of our own film output represented in theatres here in Canada. All this due to a film we came up with the idea for and shot all in the same day. During a gold old Canadian winter snow day at that.

This experience was such an awakening that we jumped into a gorilla film feature "Breakfast of Imbeciles" which was screened in Berlin in February 2005 and was officially selected to screen at a festival in New York in May of the same year.

A death in the family in December 2005, and my diagnosis with diabetes in January 2006 made last winter somewhat of a bummer but we are back at it and you can find out more at www.duramaterproductions.com or you can even find out how to help support our art here.

That's me for now. Thanks for your time.

No comments: