Thursday, December 21, 2006

An Introduction of Sorts

Well since this is my first blog, I thought I should introduce myself along with my interests. I am John, I live in the beautifully underappreciated in Canada, city of London. I am politically Liberal, rooted in the policies of Trudeau and Chretien. Are we not lucky that Jean said no to Bush on Iraq, it is bad enough we are losing lives in Afghanistan, imagine what we would be saying if we were also losing them on the streets of Baghdad. I believe Mr. George W. has himself quite the quagmire, or should I say the next President does. They can not stay and continue the way they are, the public won't let more soldiers die with out costing the Republicans the office in 2008. But they can not leave either, if the job has not been finished, that too would cost the Republicans the White House. Personally I hope Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama win in 2008. It would send the world a message that the American people are ready for a woman or a man of colour to lead them, and conversely the World. I would certainly hope it would be able to unite their country, blur political and gender biases. Like most of us, a country's biases are generations old and perhaps can not change. I think though that America and the World need a strong leader, a person that make positive changes, bridge religious and ethnic boundaries. Hey, maybe Bill should run again, but I'm sure he will be the best first male in history, oh wait.
Onto the wonderful world of television, I watch two shows fairly religiously. They are The Hour on the CBC and the Late Show on CBS. George and Dave are my two TV friends, and each night they are there putting on quality televison for me. I know it is pathetic having television friends. I have been watching Letterman since the early 1990's, I love the wittiness of his humour and although he has mellowed, he still knows how to jab a guest just the right way to ignite a little bit of controversy. Leno, has better guests, writers, but is too much of suck up and lacking the depth of his conversation skills when interviewing. Remember Dave after 9/11. Enough said. As for The Hour, I have just started watching it for the last couple of months. It is the best show on Canaidan television and I am glad, the CBC has let George do his thing, it shows in the product, which is cutting edge politically, socially, comically and is worth an hour of my time every night.
As for music, I could write miles on this subject. Simply put, I love it. Right now I am into singer song writers. Don't follow the hip hop scene, rap scene, heavy metal scene, or the indie scene. I listen to what comes across through the mainstream. My all time favourite band is Counting Crows. I remember being in my early teens, half asleep listening to London's FM96 and hearing the opening to Round Here, well I sat straight up and had to know who they were. Since then, I have been a fan. I also love Neil Young, After The Gold Rush, Harvest Moon and Heart of Gold are two staples of my playlist. Those songs are
beautifully inspirational. Other musicians that interest me, Ryan Adams (not Bryan) he is great. Amos Lee, has the best soul voice I have heard in a long time, Colours and In The Arms of a Woman, they move me. Canadians, Sam Roberts, Ron Sexsmith and The Trews are constants. Legends like Tom Petty and Bob Dylan have come back to me in their most recent CDs. In my opinion Roy Orbison has the best voice in the history of music. I know that is a long history and very debatable but man listened to him on a Love So Beautiful. Plans from Death Cab For Cutie was the CD I listen to the most this year, from beginning to end it was great. The Killers, Sam Town is good but not as good.
By the way I also have lots of opinions on sports, but will hold those off for now. I am sure I have reached a limit in your attention span, many words ago.

Ramble on
John

1 comment:

John Raeside said...

Oh yeah my editor says listen=listned and here=year.

lol
John