Thursday, December 21, 2006

Neil Young's Heart of Gold Movie

Tonight I was flipping through the choices offered by the Movie Network. These choices are often very limited and many months behind their actual release dates. Most of the movies on these channels I would not give the time of the day to. I often wonder why I even keep these channels but since they are all a part of a Rogers bundle, they are there. Tonight was I surprised, elated, delighted and vindicated. There at 9pm was Neil Young's Heart of Gold movie. I am huge fan of Neil's and had heard the buzz surrounding this movie when it was shown at the Toronto International Film Festival. I had even picked up the CD/DVD many times at the various record stores I browse. Why had I not bought it? I asked myself over and over tonight. Was it the money? Maybe 30 plus dollars, I doubt it. Simple ignorance is my conclusion. This movie/concert is a masterpiece. The music is raw, pure and honest. Nashville Tennesse is the appropriate setting, inside the intimate Ryman music hall. Neil begins with a complete playing of his 2005 Prairie Wind album, which had just been released. This album is as good as gold, and the live playing is brilliant. Beginning with my favourite song from it, "The Painter" through "God Made Me". The craftmanship of these songs live is so precise. The feelings bleed like gold through his fingers and the words inspire like wisdom through his lips. I have never sat so completely in awe before as I did watching this. Neil is at nature, an isolationist, seen as cranky, opinionated, rude and blunt depending on the situation. On stage this night, surrounded by his friends, most of them accomplished musicians in their own right, including the legendary Emmylou Harris, he is humble. His brief conversations with the audience are full of humility, generousity, and humour. He seems like a man at peace with his place in life. Having survived an aneurysm and losing his daddy as he called him, he is a changed man. But still driven as only Neil is with the recently released Living With War. But this night was about the music, friends, family, and giving back, not about politics or war. It was Neil his guitars, harmonicas and his songs, even the covers are his songs when he puts his voice to them. After the playing of Prairie Wind comes the hits, Heart of Gold, Old Man, The Needle and The Damage done, my favourite Harvest Moon and an appropriate cover of Four Strong Winds. There in the heart of Nashville, is the grandfather of grunge, California resident, Canadian born, musical icon playing a Canadian folk song. Only Neil. He can transcend generations, genres and it simply comes down to the music. I am a fan of the acoustic music, it is what I like best, stripped to the core and this movie definitely falls into that category. Whether you are a fan or not, there is an old man, in a cowboy hat, with an old guitar, flanked by his friends and because of that we are all left with a little more gold in our hearts.

Ramble on
John

No comments: