Thursday, September 04, 2008

So Far So Good

At the moment I'm laughing at all the people who said, and are still saying that the New Radio 2 is "just like commercial radio" or "just like commercial easy listening" - the people who are saying that are just as ignorant as the people who think that all classical music is Beethoven. Although Friends of Canadian Broadcasting is still beating the drum I think that once Canadians get used to/find out about the New 2, that it will be a national radio station in a way that Radio 2 hasn't been in a long time.

Today I got a chance to sit down and listen to "Drive" which is an eclectic mix of singer/songwriters, blues, and country (that I've heard so far). I mean yes, Rich Terry did play the Barenaked Ladies a little while ago, but it was an obscure cover of a Neil Young song, not 'If I Had A Million Dollars', I've heard Tegan and Sara (rarely played on commercial radio), Corb Lund, Amy Millan, the Small Sins, God Made Me Funky and Basia Bulat (never played on commercial Radio) - I've also heard artists I've never heard before and that usually only happens on Radio 3 or university radio stations.

As I've said previously, if Radio 2 turns into commercial, easy listening I'll be the first to complain, but so far so good! (Though if anyone at Radio 2 wants some suggestions for other stuff they could play just shout!) = )

To the people who are still upset about the new format, those things you hear in the background are called drums. They can be loud but they won't hurt you. But if you really can't handle it try the new CBC 24 hour Classical Channel (isn't technology wonderful).

1 comment:

Philly M said...

you and me both - my favourites are the ones who say the old format "appealled to ALL Canadians" and that the new music mix does not speak to human interest and experience.

so, only classical composed music can speak to human experience, and folk, pop, jazz and other improvised or art music can't? what hogwash. tell that to Bartok and Vaughan Williams and Brahms and Dvorak, all of whom were inspired by folk music.