Friday, September 12, 2008

The Fight Against Harper Gains Momentum

It was about two weeks ago that I initially published Time to Unite Against Stephen Harper it would appear that I was far from alone in that sentiment. Even if they aren't concerned about his love of the Bush administration, his poor handling of the economy, his dismal environmental record, his cuts to arts and culture, or his attacks on social programs and women's rights, even if they're not concerned that a McCain win in the U.S. would almost surely mean war with Iran and that Harper would jump at the chance to sign Canada up - people know that when someone who was essentially an Alberta separatist starts seeking the votes of Quebec separatists it does not bode well for Canada.

In the past two weeks I've seen the Department of Culture gear up at a breakneck pace. I've seen my own group Canadians United Against Stephen Harper swell to over 5,000 members (with more joining by the minute) - the Facebook Event Vote Against Stephen Harper on October 14 designed to remind people to actually vote come election day has reached "6,776 confirmed guests" plus 1500 'Maybe' and 15,301 outstanding invitations (about 10,000 new invitations in the last 24 hours). Last night I started an anti-Harper page entitled "Mean People Suck" so I could continue to send messages to people after the group reached 5000 - 132 people have added that since yesterday evening. There is also Anti-Harper Vote Swap Canada (a vote trading initiative) that has crossed 1,000 members and will cost the Tories ridings across the country (ok maybe not in Alberta).

Outside of Facebook, Vote For Climate, an anti-Conservative environmental coaltion has launched and after a meeting I had on Wednesday night I know that there is alot more in the pipe.

Better still I've talked to alot of people who are thinking well beyond October 14. Many people have decided that it is time to truly fight back against the anti-Canadian policies of Harper and his Conservatives - even if he is out of power we will continue to press the attack.

Please, join us!

4 comments:

awhtaylor said...

I have heard the call to strategic voting each federal election for years. But I still think it is impossible for me. As an NDPr and lifelong social-democrat I have watched The Liberal Party selectively sample many of our policies. But The Liberal Party remains an antagonistic mishmash of Corporate power and expedient left policies. The CCF emerged because some Canadians wanted a Left Party dedicated to a different cooperative economic arrangement of the nation-state.
The NDP and the Liberal Party do not have the same base or programme. I can't kid myself into believing that voting stategically for a Liberal substantially alters corporate Canada's two-party Monolithic capitalism. Go look up The Gomery Commission testimonies on fat envelopes for greedy kingpin Liberals in Quebec.
Andrew W Taylor
Winnipeg

Nik said...

There is no decent choice in this election. I'm not voting Conservative, so Harper's out. Dion is a total wiener. I'd vote NDP, but what would happen if Jack Layton actually had to keep his campaign promises? Gasp. Can I vote Bloc?

Time will tell.

Nik said...

Oh and Green? Why bother.

awhtaylor said...

Nikki,

Do you have principles above utilitarian calculation of winning your Election? People with principle have refused to vote Tory or Liberal for generations. I know it seems absurd to consumers addicted to the instant fix, but some of us have been building a Party of the Left called the NDP in good seasons and slim pickins'. We are still here since the 1930s and we will build in all seasons. Join us if you have the stomach for a Cause rather than a mutable result.
Andrew Taylor
Winnipeg