Friday, August 15, 2008

Blackout's 5th Anniversary

I can't believe it was five years ago that the city was hit with a blackout. To this day, that night has got to be the most memorable for me because it was the first time I truly ever got to see the stars in the sky.Yes I'm a city girl through and through and I just went camping for the first time a few weeks ago so of course I would take the night sky for granted. But that night was both magical and surreal. Strangers were talking to one another, people wandered around the streets dancing, playing instruments, holding their boom boxes, holding flashlights, candles. It was wonderful.

That night I went to my friend's going away party before she left for Japan. Needless to say, the flight was cancelled. Some of my friends thought I was crazy for still going since the subway wasn't running, but I had to go since I wasn't going to see her for another two years! Let's just say that the trip to Rexdale from the Annex via the TTC bus in pitch black was quite the adventure, but a memorable one at that. Yes it was dark when I got off the bus and wandered onto unknown streets, but I had my flashlight so I was good to go.

So yeah. Blackout 2003. Best night ever.

1 comment:

Dwight Williams said...

I was at one of the local comics shops on Bank Street in Ottawa's Centretown when it started. I didn't find myself doing a lot that day - or the next few days thereafter, as my day job at the time was somewhat disrupted by the fallout. The relative quiet was well-savoured, though.