Sunday, May 11, 2008

The End of CAIRS and of Confidence

I'm still getting alot of mail about the decision by Harper's Tories to close CAIRS. I don't really know what to say about it, that hasn't been said elsewhere. I am also not surprised. I have said often and frequently that this is a government obsessed with censorship, secrecy and the control of information.

The leaderless Liberals seem very upset about it but the current Liberal party being upset counts for nothing as they are unwilling to force an election on any issue and ultimately end up voting for everything the Harper government does.

Please understand that I'm counting abstention as a vote in favor. I've always held that those who chose not to vote in elections are ultimately voting for whoever wins. Because they have chosen not to vote, it is ultimately an endorsement of whatever those who do vote may decide. It does, or should, go without saying that an elected Member of Parliament should be held to the same standards as an average citizen. So when the Liberals sit on their hands for a vote it is an endorsement of whatever the Conservatives are doing.

Sadly there is no mechanism built into the Canadian Constitution that would allow a vote of no confidence in either the Government or the Official Opposition but personally that is where I stand at the moment - no confidence in either.

No comments: