Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Zeke's Gallery Update

Updating the story on Zeke's Gallery - a Quebec blog that was shut down for reporting something that had been reported by other news outlets: Rec'd today on Facebook
Howdy!

I realized that I have been tardy in keeping everyone appraised of what is happening with regards to the Zeke's Gallery blog (and by extension Zeke's Gallery). Apologies, but I took advantage of the long fete Saint Jean weekend and didn't do bupkiss.

In a nutshell, it is more of the same until at least September 6, 2007.

In more detail, the temporary injunction (aka the safeguard order) is in effect unchanged until the next scheduled court date. Apparently on September 6 we are supposed to have a hearing on whether or not I did in fact libel and defame Pierre Antoine Tremblay, along with a decision on the permanent injunction, the contempt of court charges and how much I owe him in damages, if the judge decides that I am the bad guy.

On the 21st of June he tried to amend and expand his initial request to prevent me from talking about him anywhere (Radio, TV, other websites, email messages, in discussions with newspaper reporters, friends, family and just about any other means he could think of). The judge declined to amend it.

However he did increase his request for damages to $60,000, a 140% increase from his initial claim of $25,000. I would venture a guess that come September it will increase once again.

As you might know, the blog has gone dark. Due to the vague nature and foreign language of the temporary injunction (aka the safeguard order) I thought it best to take everything off the blog. As the temporary injunction (aka the safeguard order) is in effect without any changes until September 6, 2007 I think it best to keep everything off of the blog. Contempt of court is a very serious charge.

Beyond that, I was turned down for legal aid (although on the bright side, I can appeal the decision) but I do have legal representation, I just don't know how I am going to pay the bill.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, although it might take me a little bit of time to respond, and if you would like to read an outside opinion on what happened please read Steve Faguy's blog:

http://blog.fagstein.com/?p=414
and
http://blog.fagstein.com/?p=433

Thanks tons!
Chris

No comments: