Monday, June 04, 2007

The Next Round

I sent out a message a few days ago on Facebook about this, but for those not on Facebook (or who just didn't read it): I'm getting ready for yet another incarnation of PublicBroadcasting.ca. If, after reading this, you have questions or suggestions please pass them along.

Again, I am paring it down. When the site first started people were all over blogs and podcasts. There are still many who are, but for the most part people don't look very hard to find new ones anymore. As a result people don't dig very deep in the website and alot of the 'channels' have little traffic. While I am paring the site down, I will - for the time being at least, leave those feeds with active subscribers up - I simply won't be maintaining them anymore.

Rather than elaborate on what's going, I'll tell you what's coming (or staying) and let you do the math otherwise.

  • Hype will remain, but it will be moved to the front page and will simply be publicbroadcasting.ca. It will be the first thing people find when going to the site. Also, rather than do the 13 individual spotlights, I'll simply post stuff to the blog as I find it.

  • The Public Broadcasters list is also staying.

  • Can Blogs will be the best blogs from around the country on a variety of topics. I lean heavily toward arts and culture but there will also be politics and other topics. I am limited to 100 for this, so it won't be easy to decide.

  • Can Casts will be the same as above except it will be for audio and video podcasts again it is limited to 100 but now, finally, I will be able to include CBC blogs and podcasts as they appear to have changed their rules in this regard.

  • News will be added to the site which will be, simply for convenience, the latest headlines from a variety of sources covering national and international news, arts and culture, politics etc., - again these will not be blogs, but standard news feeds.

  • the Band Blogs, Podsafe MP3 and Art Galleries will all still be around too.

  • the newly revamped links section will still be around and will be regularly added to to help people find what they are looking for (especially those people who do still want to dig for more blogs and casts (God bless you.)


  • Doing all of this will make the site more useful for more people, will bring more traffic to the content that remains and will allow me more time to do things, including blog and run micro-campaigns such as the current R3TV campaign. It is my hope that we can start doing more of these and take a more proactive approach going foreward.

    Again, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on things.

    - J

    2 comments:

    Dwight Williams said...

    This is what I get for not reading bandwidth-hogging sites while on dial-up. I know: "Get with the times!" But I'm one of those people whose day and night jobs still depend on actual paper to some extent to get done...

    Not sure what I think about tightening up the blogroll at the moment, Justin. What I feel at the moment about the idea is "uneasy".

    Ouimet said...

    A few thoughts:

    What's the most popular thing on the site? Maybe you need to work backwards from there.

    Are people looking for new blogs? Maybe good ones.

    I'm assuming volunteers are hard to find? If I were you, my strategy would be to get bigger rather than smaller.

    Dial-up? They still sell that?