Thursday, January 13, 2011

Living In A Movie.

I didn't go to film school and never was a cinephile. Directors names meant nothing to me before the last couple of years and not too long ago, I hadn't seen Gone With The Wind or the Wizard of Oz.

When I was a kid I would get really onto one specific movie and just lock and load. I would live it as much as I could. Costumes, collecting stuff, memorizing lines, singing the songs, pretending there was some elaborate reason that me and one of the characters had switched identities. I didn't have a video camera so I would put on plays based on the films I liked. Then as teenager I fell asleep before the end of movies and never re-watched them. I was happy to know the beginning of a lot of stories. And I still put on plays, and started making some video stuff.

Then about 5 years ago I decided seeing as it was my profession I realized it was time to add to my film knowledge library. I started with Birth Of A Nation and kept moving forward the golden years of Hollywood and so much more. Docs, foreign films, kids films, tv movies, series, claymation etc.

I was enjoying films less and analyzing them more. It was invigorating but felt like work.

Now I think I have found a
balance. I binge on films a lot and feel I have a specific taste but have acquired a wide appreciation. And I figured out how to get right into a movie and feel like I'm living and breathing it- like I did when I was little kid.

















Wow Miss Geek really looks like me.
Lisa Anita Wegner

No comments: