Monday, October 08, 2007

Kara Keith: The Next Houshold Name

You may know her as the lead singer of Falconhawk, if not it's high time you got to know her because if Alberta's Kara Keith was from Toronto or Montreal she would already be numbered amoung Canada's indie elite and if she isn't ultimately successful it will be due to fear on the part of the public and not lack of creative energy, talent or ambition.

Kara's first solo CD release appeared on Saturday, September 15 at a party at the Marquee Room. Each CD sold that night had a cover hand made by Kara. The sound has been described as "Melodramatic", and "Cabaret Art Pop" or as Keith puts it "[like] unicorns doin it" In the simplest terms it sounds a bit like Emily Haines if she wrote musical theatre. None of these descriptions alone really does it justice though and while all of them put together come pretty close that will only confuse most of you if you haven't actually heard it. Your best bet really will be to pop over to Kara's Myspace and download a few tracks.

Now, as I alluded to above the Kara Keith story isn't just about the music. It is about a personality that comes through the music. If you want a glimpse into that which is Kara Keith, the kind of personality that hand draws each individual album cover, you should read this Vue Weekly article and the "diary" on the Falconhawk web site.
"the only reason people join bands is because they are trying to fill a void of loneliness and/or are overcompensating for feelings of inadequateness. This applies to me, and to everyone I’ve met who plays in a band."

"That night, I split my lip on the mic and cute boy James was pointing to my lips to try and inform me I was bleeding but instead I thought he was pointing to his own lips which I grabbed and started kissing with. During our set. No matter how busy one can be on stage, there is always time to kiss young boys between songs. Apparently in the end, all he wanted was for me to dab the blood from my face. But I got a kiss out of it, so Hallalulah!"

"Then maybe you should spent 5 years in art school and then we can talk."


“I’m the voice of the opposite. Create friction, create progress.”


“For now we’re going with ‘Kara Keith’, because I’m creating the project and I got in so much shit when I said we were called the ‘Tight Niggaz’. I don’t have time to think about it.”


“But I’m still sexy as fuck.”

No comments: