Thursday, August 02, 2007

What Is Indie?

There is an article by Guy Dixon in Saturday's Globe and Mail called Life on the Road: What indie looks like now. It's all about Canadian indie bands and who is or isn't indie.

Myself, personally, I don't like stadium concerts. I will never pay $100-200 to see ANY band from 100 yards away (or to simply watch them on the jumbotron screen.) I like small venues, I like small crowds, I like good beer - not watered down discount beer at import prices. I like to say hi to the band and buy the CD directly from them (assuming I liked them). That's just my taste though. I don't really care about labels, indie or otherwise. I find it sad that at the point in their career when a band actually starts to make enough money to quit their day job they are frequently accused of 'selling out' or 'not being indie anymore' and their original fan base abandons them - even if the music is just as good.

So what do you think? What is indie? Does it really mean anything and if so, where do you draw the line?

2 comments:

suburban myth said...

oh! i so agree!!! i'm glad that most of the bands i love seeing are still playing small enough venues that you get the chance to meet them afterwards & tell them in person what you thought of their show. "indie, indie, indie" hmmm.... it's become another tag to sell product, of course, but i think the label still has some meaning left. & although i'm a bit of a music snob & hate the general public latching on to my fave band, well, the more good music out there getting recognition the better, dontcha think? yes!!!

Justin Beach said...

Personally I don't even mind the General public latching on to my favourite band. With some of them I know it's going to happen from the beginning. To me when the general public latches on it means they've made it - they are professional, full time musicians and I'm happy for them - though once they are playing sold out arenas I won't be there (though I'll still buy the album if it's good and might even buy the concert on DVD if they make one). There are always more new bands playing tiny clubs to find and support.