Monday, January 08, 2007

What is everyone reading?

I read a lot, it seems though at times, no one I know reads anymore. Right now I am reading, Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier, he also wrote Cold Mountain. I like it thus far. This past year I bought another copy of my favourite book, Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels, this is the most poetic, inspiration story I have ever read. Along with Thirteen Moons, I am still working on Bill Clinton's My Life, lots of words, and facts, in Mr. Clinton's book. Also I am a few chapters into Robert Morgan's Gap Creek. Last year I finished Rohinton Ministry's A Fine Balance and Such A Long Journey. Andre Alexis's Childhood. Carol Shields Unless, a book questioning goodness. The mystically interesting The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Plus many more that are not coming to mind at the moment. Anyway, I am always looking for a good read. Send me some suggestions. I often try to finish a couple of books a month. I think we as a society should be making our children read more.

Ramble on
John

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think children are reading more these days, at least more than they were 13 years ago when I was a child.
Books like the Harry Potter series and those who have followed in it's mighty footsteps have really helped, it's nice to see kids excited about a piece of literature.
I'm reading 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell' by Susanna Clarke at the moment, which I am really enjoying.

Justin Beach said...

Personally, and this ties into the post above yours, I've recently been reading decent books that were turned into bad films, Congo by Michael Crichton for example, and Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein and then there were the 'Borne' books - now, the Borne Identity was an ok film, but it had shockingly little to do with the book(s) some of the characters names are the same, they are both about espionage and Borne does get amnedia (in much the same way) and some (but certainly not all) of the locations but that's almost where the similarities end..it's really pretty shocking.

At some point someone really should make the Borne Identity (and the rest of the trilogy) into films - they would be good ones.

Oh, by the way - I have a 14 year old and a 12 year old - they both read well above their grade level and each put away 5-10 books (novels not Dr. Seuss) a week (depending on the amount of homework they have).

CpBurrowes said...

Well I would hope that your 12 and 14 year olds are not reading Dr. Seuss but I still find all his books enjoyable at the age of thirty two. My kids are avid readers as well, well my 10 and 13 year old at least. My 7 year old is just catching the reading bug now. They've read all those Harry Potter books and have many interests in reading beyond that. I don't even know the authors off hand. As long as I see them reading I'm happy.

As for me the last 5 books I've read are, The bedroom secrets of the master chefs by Irvine Welsh, Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn, I, Shithead by Joey Keithley, Shark Life by Peter Benchley, and Robert Crumb's Heroes of Blues, Jazz, and Country. Those were all over the last 2 months and right now I'm in the middle of a re-read of Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison.

Books is good. They maks you gooder than you was.