Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Hockey Night Theme Music: A Dissenting Opinion

This is just one of many opinions already voiced in disagreement with Justin - and many others for as many reasons, not all of which agree with his own thinking - on this subject.

I spoke of this earlier at one of my own blogs, before the word got out about CTV's efforts. Then, as now, I find the current state of affairs with regards to the Hockey Night in Canada theme music unacceptable. My reasons are largely not grounded in much logic of any kind. Certainly they're not grounded well in good business practice, past student of business administration that I've been.

My opinions of the three key parties in this...I don't know quite what to call it without jumping head-first into name-calling here...are just as ill-grounded in reason. CTV, CBC Sports, even Dolores Claman and her representatives...I am tempted to find fault with them all. Even knowing the pressures involved - or some of them - I am tempted. The logic for casting that kind of blame on each of them in turn would be easy to find.

Too easy.

But that would net me nothing I want. And what I want, with no more reason than selfish nostalgia, patriotic sentiments, whatever you like to call it, is to see that music restored to what my entire life from childhood onward tells me is its proper place: at the opening of HNiC.

It's reason enough.

I don't know how to act on it yet. But I hope to find the best way to that end.

No comments: