Saturday, December 22, 2007

Ottawa Hires Weasels to Guard the Henhouse

This should be interesting, according to the CBC Bell Canada has been awarded the contract to maintain the "Do-Not-Call list". Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that there is finally going to be a do-not-call list but Bell?

When my family and I moved into our current residence we called to have our Bell internet service switched over. Once that was done though we noticed that it was unbelievably slow - slower than dial up at times. So we called Bell to fix it. After a month which included several technician visits, hours on the phone and explanations that changed from day to day we switched providers.

Last friday, in what is only the most recent case, Bell called to offer us high speed. When I mentioned that Bell had already told us, in so many words, that they couldn't provide us with high speed at our current location the caller assured me that there was no obligation so it was a good deal. I asked to be taken off of their calling list and the caller assured me that I would be. They called back on Monday to make the same offer.

The reality is that Bell and Rogers, along with ADT and a few mystery 'you have won an all expense paid trip to...' companies are the worst violators of telemarking. These are the people who made a do-not-call list necessary in the first place, so it is more than a bit ironic that they sould be awarded a large government contract, which will presumably result in some handsome profits, to police themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fair concerns, all. Fox and henhouse issues are something we in the unwashed public were hoping to avoid being made to cope with.