Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Maggie MacDonald

One of the problems with the arts in Canada in general is the lack of publicity. Frequently when things are done by Canadian artists you won't find it, or even find out it exists, unless you look for it. Especially with independent and emerging artists, there are no front page headlines, no advance publicity to speak of, only a few buried reviews at best. That is part of the reason, after all, this site exists.

That, I'm afraid, is my only excuse for not reading 'Kill the Robot' earlier. For a long time I simply didn't know about it, and once I did, it took me awhile to actually find a copy. There are some decent reviews of it here and here. I found though, perhaps because I'm part of the choir and no longer need to be preached to, that it wasn't the semi-Orwellian themes, or the "rallying cry against consumerism" that appealed to me most. It was the stunning use of language and deeply honest insights. Whether or not you agree with the politics of the book, you will find much of the imagery and emotional exploration deeply familiar (at least if you have 'come of age' in the last three decades. In short, read this book.

As an author, award winning playwright, artist and member of the Hidden Cameras and Republic of Safety, Maggie MacDonald is truly one of the great emerging talents in Canada. The blog for The Rat King Rock Opera can now be found in the Canblogs.

No comments: