Thursday, September 27, 2007

Rogers Hates Trees

There are rumors upon rumors of a Canadian do not call list but while their ironing all of that out, could we tack on a "do not mail either" list?

I think the worst offender is Rogers. I get 7-8 pieces of mail from Rogers a month, Rogers Video, Rogers Internet, Rogers Cable etc., - some addressed to me, some addressed to 'resident' and all of them trying to sell me something. There's even extra sales material stuffed in with my Rogers bill, the one piece of mail they send me every month that I don't mind getting. Rogers is not the only one that sends this, obviously, they are just the worst offender. Generally half to two-thirds of what arrives in my mail box is junk mail.

So here's a point of information for the senders: I don't buy any of it. I put a recycling bin directly underneath the mailbox and that is where it all goes, along with the flyers and other ads that you leave with the help of Canada post. Most of it I don't even look at. Virtually none of it makes it through the front door. So, could we save a few forests and just stop. Believe me, if you have something I need or if I think you might have something I need. I'll call you.

So, a question for the readers - who are the other companies out there hellbent on deforestation?

2 comments:

Mark Dowling said...

The phonebook companies.

If they were required to leave a sticker on my mailbox saying "if this sticker is here tomorrow, we'll leave a phone book" then I wouldn't have a huge brick of paper currently occupying my blue bin. I realise that there are some people who don't use d'interweb and that's fine but give me the choice!

Anonymous said...

Here's what you need to do:

Pay your bills by snail mail and send the bill inserts back to the company with your payment. Why should you have to throw away their stuff?

Better yet, put the competition's bill inserts into your pay envelope. Imagine someone at Rogers opening up your envelope to find a bunch of bill inserts for Bell Sympatico and ExpressVu in your mail.

Let the companies deal with their own junk.