Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Giant Blue Cult with A Smiley Mascot....

Everyday, well almost everyday, I wake up and get ready for work. Sometimes I work early mornings, sometimes I work late evenings but the routine is always the same. I throw my feet over the side of my bed and quickly search for a pair of clean socks (my apartment is as cold as a morgue) and then I make my way to the bathroom for my daily rituals of hygiene. Once, I get that out the of the way, I come back to my room and search for some form of clean clothes in the giant pile at the end of the bed, work appropriate of course. I take my seven minute walk to the giant grey building with the blue and red stripes and when I get there, the doors open gracefully accepting me with a warm embrace. Everyday, I insert the combination to my locker and I pull out the blue vest donned with the ‘Our People Make the Difference’ slogan. Do they really make a difference though? Because most of the people I work with haven’t the slightest clue as to what’s going on. I slowly shuffle my feet to receiving where the morning meeting will take place and all the cult like behaviors will ensue. Firstly, they discuss the sales making sure to include as many plural nouns at every possible turn of a sentence.
“Yesterday, WE made 117,918 dollars in sales. Today OUR projected profit is 119,000. OUR top departments were as follows. Ok, let’s start OUR stretches.’ See, the idea is to include you in every prospective way because this is the first step to corporate brainwashing. The implication is that you won’t see it coming. You start to feel like part of the group, accepted, important perhaps even cherished. Who doesn’t want a little of that in their life? It’s, in fact, quite parallel to high school politics in that aspect. Then, then they make you chant about how great it all is. When you first are forced into this choir of apathetic voices and ridiculous words, you feel stupid. But, as time passes, all of a sudden you’re clapping a little bit louder than the day before, you’re enthusiastically chirping out that W-A-L… And then before you had time to walk to your assigned department, it’s happened. You’re in a cult that makes you wear a blue vest that asks “How can I help you?” (Though you really intend to help as little people as possible) Hell, they mine as well pass you the cup of fruit juice laced with poison cause you’ve basically sold your soul to the devil except this particular satanic figure has a giant round yellow face and a smiley that peers past you. So next time that you manage to land that job in retail or fashion, or even the fast food industry, take a hard look at what you’re really getting into and then ask yourself, “Will I sell myself to giant commercial whore for the sake of my menial and near task less job?

3 comments:

Justin Beach said...

My condolences on working for big blue. I don't even shop there so I can't imagine having to participate in the cult.

Eric Rosenhek said...

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that the smiley, happy people at W*****t are faking it? Damn.

Your situation could be worse. You could be like me who teaches sports to children, ranging in age from 3-12.

Anonymous said...

I also worked for the Borg collective known as W*lm*rt. The only good thing about my stint was that I was on graveyard shift, so I avoided the morning rituals. Loved your take on it...for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure, it's all true.

Thankfully, I managed to escape after only 6 months. During an impressive snow storm, I made the wise decision that my life was worth more than 2 skids of toilet paper and opted to stay home.