Sunday, April 27, 2008

the TTC, retaliate appropriately

I have had several messages today suggesting responses to the TCC's walkout. Personally I buy tickets not passes so seeking a refund won't work for me. A TTC boycott would hurt the TTCs bottom line (as well as the city of Toronto) but wouldn't affect the transit workers who get paid the same whether their streetcars, subways and busses are empty or full.

I fully understand people's anger and frustration though. Friday's unannounced walkout was a kick in the groin to poor and middle class people across the city, as well as visitors to Toronto and had no affect on negotiations. It was, in other words, an attack on customers and not part of a labour dispute. I'm sad to say that this is not all that surprising to me. Since the start of 2008 I've had to move quickly to avoid a streetcar that made no attempt to stop at a crosswalk (with the flashing yellow lights) although they had plenty of time to do so. I've been refused a transfer without an explanation. I've seen several TTC vehicles run red lights and have seen TTC drivers antagonize and provoke passengers without cause. I'm afraid that I can no longer consider the TTC workers a part of the labour movement, or even worthy of consideration and respect.

As to the current situation, I've had several discussions with a variety of people about this. So far the move by the TTCs union has been unanimously condemned, even by labour supporters and members of other unions. So, while I think a boycott is inappropriate, I do have another idea. In response to the TTCs employees unprovoked attack on riders I urge you all to become the TTC police. Take a pen and paper with you when you ride the TTC and report ANY (even mildly) inappropriate behavior, language and certainly traffic violations to https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/ttc/feedback.nsf/icomplaint?OpenForm. You should also report it any time the TTC fails to run on time. The TTC's employees chose this weekend to have an adversarial relationship with the people of Toronto. This is the best way I can think of to respond without any unintended victims.

I would also urge the TTC union's leaders to make a full apology to the people of Toronto - an apology without explanations, excuses or attempts to place the blame elsewhere.

As to preventing things like this in the future. I would urge the city, province and federal government to alter the current labour code. If management and union officials cannot reach an agreement within 48 hours of a contract expiring it should automatically and immediately, be sent to binding arbitration. Both sides lay out their case, on any outstanding issues, before a judge who makes a decision on what's fair and that becomes the new contract. This should not only apply to the TTC, but to any and all labour disputes. If either side doesn't like the idea of binding arbitration then it gives them that much more incentive to get the contract done before it reaches that point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've used that complaint/compliment form before = no one ever gets back to you... Its been 6 mos now since I left something, and only recently noticed the email about following up on previous complaints. I doubt anyone reads them.