Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Dose-ification of The Globe and Mail

Yesterday, The Globe and Mail came out with a newly-designed newspaper. Not only has it shrunk in width, but just about everything in the paper has been given a facelift.

Oddly enough, my first reaction upon seeing the "new" Globe was "Hey! When did they start up that Dose paper agagin?" Dose was the free transit paper from CanWest that gave in to the other freebies Metro and 24 Hrs. and ceased publication some time ago. I've missed it (I don't live in any of the cities they serviced, but I always read it online) since its' demise, as the attitude and originality it brought to everyday news was quite unique. A website still exists (http://www.dose.ca) but alas, the paper is but a distant memory.

Until now, that is...

Don't get me wrong. I LIKE the "new" Globe. The new Life section is quickly becoming a welcome inclusion, and the look of the entire package is certainly cleaner, especially the front section and the Report on Business section. I think this was a good move for The Globe in the end, as they might be able to attract younger readers, and perhaps even increase their female readership too.

Good luck to The Globe. And thanks for bringing back a bit of Dose!

4 comments:

Justin Beach said...

I dunno - to me it looks like the G & M has gone blog - complete with a comments section.

Deaner! said...

You got it...that's what Dose did better than the competition. Their printed-paper product was linked very heavily to their web content, and vice-versa.

Justin Beach said...

But did you know that the name Dose originally belonged to Hugh McGuire of Librivox? The other guys erm...borrowed it

http://dosemagazine.blogsome.com/

Deaner! said...

NO, I didn't!
Everything borrowed is new again! lol!!